Carrot mash with bacon
22 - 10 - 2015
- 1 kg floury potatoes
- 1 kg carrots
- 50 g butter
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 600 g bacon, slices or cubes
- Bouquet garni (2 bay leaves, 2 sprigs of thyme and 2 parsley stems)
- Beef, chicken or vegetable stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put the potatoes and carrots in a pan with just enough water to cover them. Add some of the stock and bouquet garni, seasoning with salt. Cook the potatoes and carrots thoroughly.
- Meanwhile fry the bacon as you like it (lightly crisp to crispy) and then let drip on a paper towel. Sauté the onion, in the same pan as the bacon fat (pour off some bacon fat if necessary).
- Drain the potatoes and carrots, retaining 6 dl of the cooking liquid in a saucepan. Allow the steam to escape and take out the bouquet garni. Reduce the cooking liquid by two-thirds so that we end up with a rich broth. Puree the potatoes and carrots with a masher. Add the fried onion, a generous knob of butter (or use the bacon fat) and the reduced stock to the mashed potatoes and mix well. Make sure the mash is creamy and not too dry (add more milk if necessary). Season with salt and pepper.